Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Solved Power supply 15V - 4A or 12V - 3A for Linear mount?

• GSchreider
  • Topic Author
  • per aspera ad astra
More
28 Apr 2022 08:08 #930 by GSchreider
I bought a Linear mount second hand without a power supply. So I need to buy a suitable power supply. The Linear user manual rev 2.0.2 states that a 12V 3A power supply is required. The Avalon mounts quick start guide states that 15V is required.
Please clarify which is the correct specification I need to look for.
CS
Gernot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
03 May 2022 11:54 - 03 May 2022 12:06 #932 by Stefano82
Avalon mounts can works both with 12V and with 15V.

With the Linear mount, the 15V is suggested for the "Ultra" Slew speed (see StarGo User Manual page 31).

So, we suggest to find an adjustable Power Supply.

On the article linked below you'll find some suggestion about the Power Supply usage with the StarGo system.

www.avalon-instruments.com/support-2/tro...o-power-supply-using

Kind regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team
Last edit: 03 May 2022 12:06 by Stefano82.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GSchreider

More
15 Jul 2022 21:05 #972 by Froeng
Hello, I have a question regarding the the use of a battery. I have a 12v LiFePo battery which I would like to use with StarGO. Can I connect this directly to the StarGO unit or do I have to have the regulated power-adapter between the battery and the mount? I am fine with medium or low speed GOTO, so I believe I do not really need the 15V. Will this work? Thank you, Frank

More
16 Jul 2022 14:46 #974 by davidjkreiton
Replied by davidjkreiton on topic Power supply 15V - 4A or 12V - 3A for Linear mount?
Hello, I power my Linear from a 12V 30AHr LiFePO4 battery and it works fine. The battery also powers a 12V/5V buck converter for a Raspberry Pi 4, 12V for dew heater controllers, and 12V for an ASI071MC-Pro. I have run this nearly all night without depleting the battery. Dave

More
16 Jul 2022 19:19 #975 by Froeng
Thanks Dave! I only have a 10AH battery, but I am not looking at slewing around all night. I will try that. Just to double check - you are NOT using the Avalon supplied power adapter but the battery is directly connected to the StarGO, right?
Many Thanks again,
Frank

More
17 Jul 2022 22:43 #977 by davidjkreiton
Replied by davidjkreiton on topic Power supply 15V - 4A or 12V - 3A for Linear mount?
Yes. That is correct.
If you're powering only the mount and not doing a lot of slewing, 10AH may be enough to get you through the night.
FYI, my RPi4 and dew heater controllers are in a custom 3D printed box. 12V comes in from the battery (or from an AC supply if I have AC power) to a common buss which feeds the mount, camera 12V power, and dew heaters. The dew heater controllers are custom built of my own design. The RPi4 is powered from a 12V to 5V buck converter and is running Astroberry which controls everything via INDI drivers. An ASI120mini and an ASI EAF are plugged into the USB hub on the camera. I'm using the Astroberry RPi hotspot so I can sit in a sheltered (like my home) and WiFi control everything. Although I'm technically operating remotely, I'm always within eyesight of the mount and actually stand near the mount when slewing to make sure cables do not get tangled.