Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Solved Avalon Linear: Problems with Slew direction RA/DEC

• IsaStreit
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jul 2021 11:06 #614 by IsaStreit
Hello,

I've been experiencing problems with slew direction on my Avalon Linear since the very beginning and have tried all the different recommendations made here before.
- After installing StarGo sw the first time I opened it the mount was configured as M-UNO and the Reverse Motor settings were both checked
- I had a number of sw update problems with lost signals and lost com port that I have all solved successfully
- Loaded the Linear file and unchecked the RA/DEC reverse boxes. It didn't work. Mount was slewing in wrong direction.
- Reloaded LInear file and saved under different name - no boxes checked.
- Last night I did save all the four possible options (Reverse: none, RA & DEC, RA only, DEC only) and tested them with SkySafari (I did no HomeSyncing and set all the coordinates right)
- The only roughly workable option seems to be to set it on Reverse RA although I cannot 100% confirm since weather was bad and I had to roughly guess the correct direction.
- I went through SkySafari manual and Polaris successfully pointed, then did GoTo to Kochab, then Daneb, then Vega, then Saturn - the mount seemed to slew as one would expect, however only in Reverse RA mode (in StarGo software) and also by checking that box in SkySafari (reverse E/W)

It seems very strange that I must set Reverse RA and I opened the StarGo today and took two pictures you can see below. So my question is:

- Are the blue, green, red and black cables on RA/DEC rightly plugged (I didn't unplug anything, this is the way it was assembled at the factory)?
- At first sight, it seems that the cables on the DEC chip are not aligned the same as on RA side. However, upon close inspection they seem to be plugged in the same order (see second picture), however tangled. Could this be an issue?
- To resume: what cable order is needed for a Avalon Linear in order not to have to deal with RA/DEC reverse issues in the StarGo software?

Thanks for your kind support Stefano!

Best,
Isabel
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
27 Jul 2021 15:54 #615 by Stefano82
Hello Isabel

From the pictures provided, it seems that the wires are fine plugged in the correct sequence: blue, green, red and black for both axis: DEC and RA.

In order to understand the mount behaviour in the simplest way, the better thing to do, should be to start from the standard Linear.mcf file.

Maybe, could be helpful perform some test indoor before to directly try the setup on the sky. With the help of a planetary software as Carte du Ciel or with the mobile app SkySafari, by following the instructions reported below, you will be able to understand if the mount at least correctly slew to East, West, North, South.

In the standard Linear.mcf, the RA and DEC reverse motor checkbox must be both unchecked.

Then there are two different procedure for the use of the mount: one should be followed when the system is used with a PC and one when the control comes by a mobile device.

Those procedure are explained in the Avalon Instruments Mounts Quick Start guide available at the following link:
www.avalon-instruments.com/support-2/sup...ts-quick-start-guide

Below are reported briefly, for further information we suggest to read the Quick Start Guide and the StarGo User Manual.

IN CASE OF USE WITH STARGO AND PC

When the mount is controlled by a PC and with the StarGo Software, soon after the P.A., a “Sync Home Position” must be performed by clicking on the corresponding button (see Quick Start Guide “IN CASE OF USE WITH STARGO AND PC” section).

IN CASE OF USE WITH MOBILE DEVICES AND THE SKYSAFARY APP

NOTE: the following procedure works after the StarGo Power on if no other Sync Operation has been performed with other devices and softwares such as PC and StarGo.exe. In case a Sync has been priorly performed with the StarGo.exe, the StarGo board should be powered off, before to go through the following instructions.

When the mount is controlled by a mobile device with the SkySafari app, after the P.A., choose a star close to the Southern Meridian and to the Horizon, then perform a Sync on it, without move the mount from his Celestial Pole pointing. In this way the StarGo use the Star position as a Sync Home Position and not as an Align.

Please let us know if in this way the mount follow the correct behaviour, otherwise we are available for a remote desktop connection.

Best regards.

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team
The following user(s) said Thank You: IsaStreit

• IsaStreit
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2021 11:26 - 28 Jul 2021 11:52 #618 by IsaStreit
Thanks very much, Stefano. Will now go through it step by step and will get back to you later today.

Best,
Isabel
Last edit: 28 Jul 2021 11:52 by IsaStreit.

• IsaStreit
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2021 14:23 #620 by IsaStreit
Dear Stefano,

Went through the whole process once again, i.e. I reinstalled the StarGo Software from the USB stick and followed every step again as indicated on the Quick Start Guide.

It's not working. But I have checked the Linear file in the MCF Folder and I realize that it is configured for a M-Zero EQ. Below please find all the relevant Screenshots.

Is it possible to send me the correct MCF for the Linear? Or to send me a link where I can download it?

Thanks !

Best,
Isabel

• IsaStreit
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2021 14:39 #621 by IsaStreit

IsaStreit wrote: Dear Stefano,

Went through the whole process once again, i.e. I reinstalled the StarGo Software from the USB stick and followed every step again as indicated on the Quick Start Guide.

It's not working. But I have checked the Linear file in the MCF Folder and I realize that it is configured for a M-Zero EQ. Below please find all the relevant Screenshots.

Is it possible to send me the correct MCF for the Linear? Or to send me a link where I can download it?

Thanks !

Best,
Isabel

Here with all the files

• IsaStreit
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2021 14:43 #622 by IsaStreit
The file upload doesn't work so I'll send them to you by e-mail instead.