Question RA guiding versus dec with m-zero mount

• evansm
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2024 18:37 #1285 by evansm
Hello
The guiding errors I have  in ra are almost always 1.5 to 2X the errors in dec. On good nights dec rms will be about 0.3 and ra 0.5-0.6 arc secs. On short exposures (30secs) the stars show only slight eccentricity. However, with longer exposures(300secs) the stars are visibly oval. The rig balances well in 3 axes and I have about 5 kilos on one side of the dec axis and about 1 kilo on the other. I have been using the mount now for about 1 year.
Could this discrepancy in ra and dec guiding errors be due to the ra belt needing tensioning? I am aware of the location of the tensioning screw but the question is how does one know if or when there is enough tension on the belt.
Thanks for any help
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
22 Feb 2024 11:29 #1286 by Stefano82
Replied by Stefano82 on topic RA guiding versus dec with m-zero mount
Hello

The belts are fine tensioned before to ship the mount and usually don't require adjustment for the user.

In case due to specific user requests we can send the tutorial to perform this easy operation.

However, before to adjust the belts tensions, can you please send us the phd2 log file and the setup specs?

You can send this informations also via mail private message.

After we will analyze it we can have more informations for provide you the best suggestion.

Best regards.

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.