Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Question Linear: how important is balance?

More
08 Aug 2023 08:14 #1199 by Jure
Linear: how important is balance? was created by Jure
Hello,

I have a Linear HD with a 106mm apo, 60mm guide scope, 0,75 reducer/flattener, ZWO EAF, ZWO 36mm EFW and ZWO 2600MM Pro. Linear is more than enough to carry the weight, but what about balance? EAF is on one side and EFW is being routinely rotated to correctly frame deep sky objects. So, EFW and one single (pretty heavy) power cable from a Pegasus micro hub contribute to shifting center of gravity.

it is pretty impossible to achieve perfect balance on both sides of the mount and I strongly suspect that an imbalance is the cause of frequent spikes in guiding. Last time out, the mount was balanced for imaging in the eastern side of the sky. Seeing was pretty good, average RMS was around 0,4” but with occasional spikes up to 2,5 - 3”. In R.A., DEC or both. No pattern. After meridian flip guiding got much worse, while seeing was apparently the same. I am using PHD2 with NINA. I tried recommended settings and have also experimented a bit, but to no avail. 

so, how important is the balance? How to balance everything with off-center EAF and EFW? Should I re-balance the scope after meridian flip? How do you deal with balance?

Comments, suggestions welcome…

Thank you!
Jure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
10 Aug 2023 15:17 #1202 by Stefano82
Replied by Stefano82 on topic Linear: how important is balance?
Hello

A certain amount of unbalancement doesn't affect the performance.

How much is the unbalancement?

Best regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team

More
11 Aug 2023 10:27 #1204 by Jure
Replied by Jure on topic Linear: how important is balance?
Hello Stefano,

If I balance the telescope perfectly in the area I want to image, let’s say Vulpecula, mount is on the eastern side, facing southward, then:
- if I move the telescope in DEC axis only to the northern side, it will be heavier in front.
- if I move the telescope to the western side, telescope facing north, it will be heavier on the back and if I move it to the southern side only DEC axis, it will be heavier in front. Also, usually R.A. is not perfectly balanced anymore.

Movement is not violent, the telescope finds the equilibrium at some point, it won't hit the tripod.

So, if the balance is not “guilty” for spikes in guiding, could it be seeing? It is usually not great at my site, but could such sudden turbulence in the air mass cause 2” - 3” spikes in guiding?

Thank you for responding! 

Jure