Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Question Is multistar guiding with a guidescope preferable to an OAG for M-Uno/M-Zero?

• danielh21
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2021 15:02 - 20 Jun 2021 04:42 #590 by danielh21
Hi all,

I'm wondering if multistar guiding with a guidescope is preferable to an OAG (assuming multistar is not possible with the OAG) now with the Avalon M-Uno and M-Zero fast reverse mounts. Obviously, you want the shortest viable guide exposure when using these mounts so it is important to control the seeing. I'm going to go back to trying an OAG soon but I wonder if I will be better off with something like a 200mm guidescope so I can benefit from multistar guiding.

So what do you think, is a guidescope preferable to an OAG now that we have multistar guiding?
Last edit: 20 Jun 2021 04:42 by danielh21.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2021 19:54 #591 by vcastello
Danielh21,
I started using a 240 mm guide scope on my Celestron C11 SCT (on an M-Uno mount) fairly recently. I had been using an OTA previously). So far I have only had a couple of nights to use it as the weather has been pretty cloudy of late, but it is showing much promise over the OTA. I am using an ZWO ASIAIR Pro for the multi-star guiding and the two times I have been able to use it the guiding was pretty good. I am still tweaking things to see what the best setting are. I will provide an update when I have had more time to use it.
Vince C.

• danielh21
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2021 22:46 #592 by danielh21
Hi Vince,

Thanks for your response. I look forward to hearing more of your observations. As luck would have it, I actually just figured out that my Esprit 100's field flattener is essentially incompatible with the ZWO OAG because the prism stalk interferes with the threads. So I may actually have to sell the OAG already and buy a decent guidescope.

Were you using the guide scope on the dual-dec adapter or mounted on the OTA itself?

Dan

More
24 Jun 2021 05:51 #593 by Michel
Hi,
I am using the Avalon Linear, but the mechanics should be the same, so it shouldn't matter.

I always use an oag (zwo oag + 290mm mini) with my 3 telescopes: TS optics triplet @ 380mm, esprit 120ed @ 840mm and EdgeHD 8 @ 1495mm. I never had an issue with using OAG + multistar guiding, except with the EdgeHD. In some areas of the sky, I hardly had 1-2 stars anyway in the oag's field of view.

I use 1s as exposure time in PHD2, and rarely bump it to 1.5-2 seconds if seeings is really bad

More
24 Jun 2021 12:30 #594 by vcastello
I have the guide scope mounted on the OTA.

• danielh21
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2021 16:10 #595 by danielh21

Michel wrote: Hi,
I am using the Avalon Linear, but the mechanics should be the same, so it shouldn't matter.

I always use an oag (zwo oag + 290mm mini) with my 3 telescopes: TS optics triplet @ 380mm, esprit 120ed @ 840mm and EdgeHD 8 @ 1495mm. I never had an issue with using OAG + multistar guiding, except with the EdgeHD. In some areas of the sky, I hardly had 1-2 stars anyway in the oag's field of view.

I use 1s as exposure time in PHD2, and rarely bump it to 1.5-2 seconds if seeings is really bad

Hi Michel - did you do anything to make the OAG fit the Esprit? As I mentioned before the field flattener protrudes too far into the threads on the OAG and collides with the prism stalk. People on CloudyNights said they had to grind down the threads on the flattener.