Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Solved M-Zero OBS Motorized Polar Alignment Azimuth Backlash

• G_Gagnon
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2021 20:54 - 05 Feb 2021 14:18 #475 by G_Gagnon
Dear Avalon support and members,

Is it possible to minimize the backlash in the Azimuth axis of the Motorized Polar Aligment system of the M-Zero OBS? There seem to be a fair bit of backlash and, as a consequence, it can take a long time before the mount moves in azimuth, making adjustments somewhat more complicated. On the other hand, the Altitude axis is very responsive and very efficient.

Great little mount by the way.

Thanks for your help.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 14:18 by Stefano82.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• G_Gagnon
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2021 16:31 #476 by G_Gagnon
Follow-up!

I took the azimuth cover (black 3D printed cover) off and saw that the bronze sleeve, through which the azimuth adjustment screw goes, wiggles a bit if I manually move the mount in azimuth. Could the problem be that the bronze sleeve is not tightened enough on the mount plate, or is the wiggling normal? If it needs to be tightened a bit more, I will take the mount inside to corret the situation. Otherwise, any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Gilles

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
04 Feb 2021 09:24 #477 by Stefano82
Dear Gilles

As explained at page 33 of the M-zero OBS User Manual, in order to allow a free rotation on the Azimuth, being at the same time firmly assembled on the base flange, a little bit of play it is normal.

In case the two gears will be tightned too much, the mount could not rotate freely.

Feel free to ask for any further information.

Kind regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team

• G_Gagnon
  • Topic Author
More
04 Feb 2021 16:43 - 04 Feb 2021 16:48 #478 by G_Gagnon
Thanks very much for the information Stefano

I finally got the azimuth adjustment to work, by being patient :) , as when changing adjustement direction it takes some time for the adjustment to take effect. I wonder if it is possible to change/increase the speed of the motors (similar to what can be done with the RA and DEC motors) for the motorized polar alignment system, particularly if the correction vector is long. That would reduce the time needed to perform the polar alignment as the system would be somewhat more responsive. I'm running the mount from KStars and INDI and making polar alignment corrections using the hand controller, if that's relevant.

Thanks for your excellent mounts, they perform flawlessly, even in our -20°C canadian winter.

Best Regards,

Gilles
Last edit: 04 Feb 2021 16:48 by G_Gagnon.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
05 Feb 2021 14:11 #479 by Stefano82
Dear Gilles

We are glad about your appreciation of the M-zero OBS, thank you very much for sharing with us the feedback about the mount behaviour on the the Canadian winter weather conditions.

Yes it is possible to adjust the motor speed by simply increasing/decreasing the "Motor Speed" value inside the AUX1/AUX2 panel in the StarGo Software, AUX TAB, as explained at page 30 of the StarGo user Manual.

Feel free to ask for any further information.

Best regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team

• G_Gagnon
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2021 00:15 #484 by G_Gagnon
Thanks very much for your help and info Stefano!