Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Question StarGO2 Update to fix bugs?

• Planet30
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Nov 2022 23:40 #1091 by Planet30
StarGO2 Update to fix bugs? was created by Planet30
Is there any update planned to fix the bugs in the StarGO2 Pro? See my other posts for details.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Planet30
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Nov 2022 19:43 - 21 Nov 2022 19:47 #1093 by Planet30
Replied by Planet30 on topic StarGO2 Update to fix bugs?
Here a list of bugs I found in the StarGO2 Pro INDI-based mount controller:

1. EAST and WEST controls/movements are mixed up in either the firmware or the iNDI/ASCOM driver. This renders the automatic polar alignment assistant of KStars/EKOS unusable.

2. When accessing and controlling the mount remotely via port 9624, the default INDI-driver is an outdated and buggy SkySafari driver. Besides being buggy, this driver has very limited functionality. Jasem from indilib.org recognised and fixed this driver over a year ago.

3. Guiding is not supported with the ASIAIR (Plus or Pro). The ASIAIR can only access the mount via port 9624. This makes a costly and top-of-the-line mount controller incompatible with a widely used and successful astrophotography interface (It's actually the only mount I know of having this issue!). Given that the belt drives of the Avalon mounts have an inherently large periodic error, guiding is essential and not feasible with the ASIAIR.

4. When setting the slewing speed to "Guide", the mount can only be moved in one direction with either the EAST or the WEST (software) buttons. This makes the centring of e.g. planets very tedious at long focal lengths.

I would appreciate if Avalon Instruments could a) acknowledge and b) provide a timeline for fixing these bugs.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2022 19:47 by Planet30.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StianHV

• Planet30
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Nov 2022 18:51 #1099 by Planet30
Replied by Planet30 on topic StarGO2 Update to fix bugs?
@Stefano82 @Avalon

… any feedback?

More
16 Dec 2022 11:23 #1104 by StianHV
Replied by StianHV on topic StarGO2 Update to fix bugs?
I have been looking int purchasing a Avalon linear, and emailed Avalon regarding goto, polar alignment and guiding using a zwo asiair. They tested a mount before getting back to me confirming that all the above worked with their asiair. The also sent an screenshot. I wich however that Avalon wound address you post/questions.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
16 Dec 2022 11:32 #1105 by Stefano82
Replied by Stefano82 on topic StarGO2 Update to fix bugs?
Hello StianHV

This post refer to the use of the ASIAIR in combination with the StarGo2 Pro, whereas the Linear mount is controlled by the StarGo.

We are working in order to allow the full compatibility between StarGo2 Pro with ASIAIR and we are in contact via mail providing any update about the work with the StarGo2 user.

We can confirm that we tested the StarGo with ASIAIR and that support the main features as: GoTo, PA procedure and Guide.

Best regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team
The following user(s) said Thank You: StianHV

More
16 Dec 2022 15:29 #1106 by StianHV
Replied by StianHV on topic StarGO2 Update to fix bugs?
Thank you for clearing that up. Sorry for my ignorance. I was not aware of the difference. Great to know that the Avalon team is working on the problem!