Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Deleted Autoguiding Issues with M UNO mount

• skybob35
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2021 10:37 - 13 Apr 2021 14:18 #506 by skybob35
Autoguiding Issues with M UNO mount was created by skybob35
Hi
I have received my Avalon M UNO Mount since a few weeks and I started to use it.
So far with PHD2 guiding soft, my autoguiding RMS total error on AD and DEC is between 0.8" and 1.1 "  and I am a bit disappointed as I was expecting something around 0.3 /0.5" arc seconds.

THe night was quite good and I followed all steps to proper balance the mount on the 2 axes with my Newton Sharpstar 200/640mm (around 16kg total weight)
I am using parallel guiding (direct ascom guiding and not ST4) with a 50ED guide scope at 242mm with an ASI178MM camera, and I put the recommended settings that you recommend for PHD2 guiding ...so between 1 second exposure and 1.5second, Lowpass2 algorithms on both axes, 90% agressiveness, and 0 min move on both axes...

​​​​​​​so my questions : 
- what are the average value users are getting as total rms error with M UNO Mounts ? 
- is there somewhere an issue with my mount ? (to be tuned or whatever....°
- do you recommend ST4 or direct ascom guiding ? ( I prefer ascom as generally it gives better results with usual mounts)
- what kind of recommendations could you provide for this kind of mount to improve the guiding ?
- what about auto adjust tracking in avalon stargo setup ?
- do you think, I have missed something ? ( I am quite confident in my installation and my PHD2 settings (calibration, settings etc....) as I am not a beginner in that part...

As I would like to put a RC10 with longer focale (1500 to 2000mm), I really expect more from that M UNO mount in terms of quality of guiding....(let's say atound 0.5 arc seconds or less).
Of course, I can provide more details about my results and settings. I plan to install my RC10 and see how the mount is working...
But I would greatly apprciate your help and support....

Thanks a lot for your help and reply.
Skybob35
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 14:18 by skybob35.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2021 09:30 #507 by ken.self
Replied by ken.self on topic Autoguiding Issues with M UNO mount
It is difficult to assess what is going on without seeing the guide log from PHD2.
But you need to understand that even with perfect guiding, the RMS values you see in PHD2 are a result of the seeing.
In particular, the result is Dec is indicative of the seeing and other external effects as the Dec motor should not make many movements. So 0.8" on Dec suggests something other than the mount is the problem.

-- Ken
Avalon M-Uno; GSO RC8; ASI1600; Optec focuser; Aaeon UP/Ubuntu/INDI

• skybob35
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2021 18:34 - 13 Apr 2021 14:18 #513 by skybob35
Replied by skybob35 on topic Autoguiding Issues with M UNO mount
Hi,
in fact i am not at all a beginner and I know that the seeing is the key for a good autoguiding.
nevertheless the night for my first tests was quite good and I had an other EQ6 mount beside which was performing very well and better than my M Uno. Dec RMS error was about 0.5" which is quite good...
so it is the reason why I was asking for more information about correct settings in PHD2...I also had in the past some ioptron mounts and for good settings it was necessary to adjust the standard ones....
anyway, I have changed my setup, rebalance and take care about cable management, and so I will try again with different settings.
So far my setup is a ritchey chretien 10" ( weight = 19 to 20 kg....)
so we will see and I will share my results, and settings with PHD2 guiding graph ....
I am a bit surprized that nobody shares his results and settings....but maybe everything is going perfectly and there is nothing to say...
Clear skies
Skybob35
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 14:18 by skybob35. Reason: suppression