Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Question !!! REPOSTED !!! EKOS Polar Alignment Tool no longer work with my Avalon Zero

More
21 Sep 2022 13:29 #1054 by kodo
Have the following:
  • Avalon Zero Obs with StarGo (tried all FW:s)
  • Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox v2
  • RPi 4B with running v2.0.4 of Astroberry
  • RPi GPS Hat (Adafruit)
  • QHY 5 CCD Guider
  • Atik Horizon II
  • SSD storage

Like my earlier (and others) post my Avalon behaves erratic with the EKOS Polar Alignment Tool. Goto using plate solving works like a charm every time but the PAT is, as I said, very erratic. Some nights it "will just work" other, like last night, it's a lie to get it to work and I have to resort to PHD2 procedures for polar alignment (not bad but I want to perform everything using EKOS). Again, I'm not sure whether this is an Avalon FW issue, Indilib driver or whatever but it is starting to get annoying. First I thought that there could be some interference going on between the USB-cables (I know it's far fetched but you get crazy after a while) but have ruled that out unless I've had six (6) bogus USB 2/3 cables which is not very likely.

The symptom looks like this:

1. I place my mount with everything attached and started pointing to the NCP (I've synced my home-position and set the parking position beforehand)
2. I enter the EKOS PAT and start the procedure
3. The CCD takes an image
4. The mount starts to move west
5. I wait for the mount to perform a 30 degree RA move but it fails to stop and continues - I've noticed that the RA coordinate for the mount is not updated on the screen while the mount slews
6. I stop the procedure

So, pleeeease, if there's somebody out there who knows of a solution to this, pleeeease don't keep me in the shadows...

MANY thanks in advance!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Planet30

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2022 20:47 - 21 Sep 2022 20:48 #1056 by Planet30
This seems to be the same issue as for the StarGO2 Pro.

Avalon is not answering to posts. I have requested an update by email a couple of weeks ago, which remains unanswered as well.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2022 20:48 by Planet30.

More
21 Sep 2022 20:53 - 21 Sep 2022 20:55 #1057 by Planet30
Please, check the following:

Slew the telescope with the telescope/mount control in EKOS West and East and check if the RA values decrease or increase, respectively.

Refer to my post on East/West mix-up in the drivers.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2022 20:55 by Planet30.

More
22 Sep 2022 05:50 #1058 by kodo
Hi!

I really appreciate your input and it is somewhat concerning that you (we?) don't receive a reply on this! From a manufacturing point of view the Avalons are well made but the software seems to be in need of some tweaking. Again, I'm not sure if this is related to FW and/or the Indilib driver. Not here for bashing *anybody* - just an increasingly annoyed Avalon/EKOS user.

I'll try what you suggest when work/weather permits :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Planet30

More
22 Sep 2022 18:38 - 22 Sep 2022 19:00 #1060 by Planet30
I agree, the lack of response to this proven driver issue is causing some concerns to me as well.

BTW, you can try this at home inside. You just have to look on the RA values while slewing (no GOTO!) using the arrow keys of the EKOS mount control.

It is such an obvious bug, that I am very surprised that Avalon does not respond with a timeline or action plan for a fix. I am very happy with the mount otherwise, just as you said.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 19:00 by Planet30.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
23 Sep 2022 12:49 #1061 by Stefano82
Hi all

Sorry for the late reply but before to answer we had to make some tests and discuss with the developer.

We don’t think that the kodo issue is somehow related to the one faced by Planet30, even if they come up by using the INDI driver, StarGo and StarGo2 Pro are two different environments.

That said, being on this topic, we would like to keep the focus on the EKOS PAT behaviour.

We forwarded the discussion to the INDI driver developer and according to his opinion this doesn’t depend by the driver, so we are now performing some tests on the firmware, in order to understand where this issue lie.

We read that all the firmwares has been tested but, in order to have more accurate informations and try to reproduce the behaviour, would be helpful to know which one you are currently using?

In this moment we can tell that in our tests the most stable one is the 6.2.0. so we suggest to use this one, that is available for the download in our support area.

As soon as we have some update about this behaviour we will update the topic.

Best regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team