Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Question m-due: guiding parameters with phd2

• c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2021 09:55 #689 by c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
m-due: guiding parameters with phd2 was created by c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
Are the proposed phd2 parameters also suitable for a m-due mount. Do I have to pay attention to something special with the m-due, when guiding with phd2? I use a heavy RC (17kg total) with OAG. With the default parameters, phd2 guiding was not very good, so I changed it to the proposed parameters for 2000 focal length. But now the guiding star was lost every 3-5 minutes. The scope pointed more than 10 arc seconds away from previous position after 'star lost' error. Seeing at that night was ok.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2021 04:47 #708 by zubajohn
Replied by zubajohn on topic m-due: guiding parameters with phd2
I am also interested in this question. My guiding is ok but not great and I occasionally lose guide stars.

• c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
  • Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2021 08:36 #711 by c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
Replied by c.granwehr@bluewin.ch on topic m-due: guiding parameters with phd2
Hello Stefano

I installed version 1.5 as suggested and set 'use encoder correction' to off. I try guiding again this night with the updated parameters.

I will also use fix IP adresses and try binning 2.

Here is my setup:

m-due
10" RC with focal length of 2032
New zwo 2" OAG
Zwo 2" filter wheel
Zwo ASI 174mm for guiding

phd2 on a intel i7 (nuc)

speed ratio guiding: 0.2 as suggested in the 'phd2 guide parameters' article on your support webpage

Other parameters of phd: see attached picture

Regards
Chris
Attachments:

• c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
  • Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2021 08:43 #712 by c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
Hello Stefano

Please find attached a phd-log where you can see all the 'Star lost' events.

Regards
Chris
Attachments:

• c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2021 10:22 #719 by c.granwehr@bluewin.ch
Hello zubajohn

I got my m-due running last week. Even phd2 worked. I think that using fix IP addresses and no more WiFi connection helped a lot. I also changed Mx RA and DEC back to its default=2500 and used binning=2 with my asi 174. I was pointing to Navi where PhD found 5-6 guiding stars. The guiding stars at the edge of the tube appeared more like potatoes than points, but I thinks this is normal at this focal length with 2inch OAG (hope so).

I use a 10inch RC with focal length of 2032.

Please note that I installed version 1.5.2.. where Sync home position is disabled!

This week will be very cloudy in Switzerland so I give it another try with different parameters maybe next week.

My parameters / Suggested parameters
Max duration: 2500/200-300
Aggressiveness: 30/70
Min move: 0/0
Algorithm: Lowpass2/Lowpass2
Exposures: 1s/1s
Autoguide speed: 0.2/0.15-0.25

Multistars in phd enabled.

Regards
Christian Granwehr

More
09 Oct 2021 07:30 - 10 Oct 2021 21:41 #720 by JethroXP
Replied by JethroXP on topic m-due: guiding parameters with phd2
Hello, I setup my M-Due for the first time tonight. Lots to learn and figure out. My guiding was also not good, but I suspect I need better balance. Where is version 1.5.2 available (EDIT: Found it! Thanks Luciano! Look for the link in the thread in Mounts and Accessories titled "M-due keypad hangs")? I'm assuming that's the StarGo control software (EDIT: Indeed it is!)? Is Encoder Correction suppose to be off (EDIT: Only for guiding with PHD2 so that the pulse commands and the encoders are not fighting each other)? Does that disable the encoders (EDIT: I don't believe so, they just aren't being used to maintain tracking position, but the mount should still know where it is)? Why do that (EDIT: for guiding with PHD2)? And finally I didn't see any option in PHD2 to change the algorithm, the dropdown boxes were greyed out and not selectable (EDIT: I think I need to make a new profile, I was reusing at previous one).

New Question: Is the RA/DEC Autoguide Speed listed in the PHD2 guiding parameters something that is set in PHD2, or in the StarGO2 configuration?
Last edit: 10 Oct 2021 21:41 by JethroXP. Reason: Clarifying and updating.