Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Solved No Connection issue when parking (StarGo)

• Peter_S
  • Topic Author
More
04 Dec 2023 11:20 #1253 by Peter_S
Hello,
after installing the recommended versions of StarGo.exe (Install_StarGo_640_SP7.exe - StarGo v 7.0.8, fw 6 4 0) for a M Uno /Zero I always get an "No Conection" issue when parking-
even if I connected to StarGo by the safe method ("choose COM Port").
Additional informations:
- the Installation was a downgrade from 7.0.0.B1, this one is not listed anymore
- I had to install the StarGo.exe 640 SP7 logged in to the Administrator account of the PC because it seems the installer did not install correctly from my regular user account (with admin privs.) - very strange, this happened only with StarGo; I never had this problem with other software  

It is very annoying to restart the the device each time when attempting to park; sometimes the "no connection" warnings appears also during tracking which is even more of a problem

Is there a workaround?

thanks, Peter

M Uno, M Zero, Esprit APO ED 100, Lacerta MoFoc,
C8 EHD, Lacerta f4 Foto Newton + MoonLite LiteCrawler/Rot., MGEN III, W10 64 Mini-PC,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2023 12:13 #1254 by Samuel
Replied by Samuel on topic No Connection issue when parking (StarGo)
I also reported this issue (or a very similar one) a few months ago and it is, at least in my case, caused by the park position being the same as the home position. So make sure your park position is not the same as the home position.
I was told that the park position cannot be the same as the home position, which is fine I guess, but in that case StarGo should in my opinion warn you instead of just crashing sometime later when you park the mount.
Sometimes the DEC axis would also continue moving very slowly after StarGo crashed which I fear could eventually lead to a pier crash, which would be pretty bad.

• Peter_S
  • Topic Author
More
04 Dec 2023 12:51 #1255 by Peter_S
Replied by Peter_S on topic No Connection issue when parking (StarGo)
@ Samuel: thank you! and yes, the DEC was moving! This is not acceptable...
@ Avalon:
...my Home position is my Parking position and I don´t want to change that. I´ll check if changing the Parking position makes the StarGo behave differently. But please give me an alternative to this software version - I am thinking of reinstalling  the 7 0 0 B which run without all those issues that make me nervous.
Peter

M Uno, M Zero, Esprit APO ED 100, Lacerta MoFoc,
C8 EHD, Lacerta f4 Foto Newton + MoonLite LiteCrawler/Rot., MGEN III, W10 64 Mini-PC,

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
05 Dec 2023 16:50 #1259 by Stefano82
Replied by Stefano82 on topic No Connection issue when parking (StarGo)
Hi all
By reading the issue description it seems that may be still something related to the administrator privileges management.
So we made a check on the park issue noticed in both modality: with and without administrator privilege and we didn't detect any issue with the park feature.
Even though we suggest to avoid matching the Park position with the Home Position, in our test this didn't provide any error.
We performed this test only using StarGo.exe and a planetary like Carte Du Ciel.
As wrote in the support page and in the StarGo User Manual, starting from the StarGo 6.2.0 SP6 version, it is possible to install and run all the system without the Administrator Privileges. In this case all the software that interact via ASCOM with the StarGo, must also run without the Administrator Privileges.
Basically, if the StarGo.exe run with Administrator Privileges, all other ASCOM softwares must do it and viceversa (if the Avalon ASCOM driver has been installed separately, it is important to do it with the same administrator privileges of the StarGo.exe).
So, for example, you send the park command via APT, be sure that this software run with the same administrator privileges assigned to the StarGo.
Check this and let us know about.

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team

More
05 Dec 2023 18:03 #1260 by Samuel
Replied by Samuel on topic No Connection issue when parking (StarGo)
Hi Stefano, thanks for looking into it.
I could repeatedly reproduce this issue by syncing home position, setting park and then parking. It didn't always happen though, sometimes it took several attempts.
Unfortunately I cannot do any testing right now, and I was avoiding the park feature since (I now just simulate a park by a go-to command), but I can try reproducing it again at some point with the new StarGo/driver version.
StarGo was running with admin privileges. However, I was not using any external software to park the mount, I simply used StarGo's own "Park" button, so that can't have been the issue.
Here's the video of how I reproduced it:

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
06 Dec 2023 10:00 - 06 Dec 2023 10:08 #1261 by Stefano82
Replied by Stefano82 on topic No Connection issue when parking (StarGo)
Hello

Thanks for the video. In this way it is clear your procedure.

In order to try to reproduce your behaviour we performed the following tests:

- the first by following the standard and suggested procedure, as described on the user manual and on the following tutorial:
www.avalon-instruments.com/support-2/tro...dure-with-the-stargo

The video of this test is available at the link below:

- the second by following your workflow: run StarGo -> Sync Home Position -> Set Park and Park on the Home Position.
The video of this second test is availble at the following link:

As you can see we had no issues. The only difference on the Avalon configuration side is that we installed the latest ASCOM driver available on our support page (Ascom Driver 7.1.2.6)

So we have to understand what's going with your configuration. Just give us some more time to further debug then, if we cannot find a solution, we are available for a remote session desktop.

Below you can find our setup:
Installer StarGo 640 SP7

StarGo.exe 7.0.8
Firmware 6.4.0
Avalon Ascom Driver 7.1.2.6
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Windows Feature Experience Pack

Best regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team
Last edit: 06 Dec 2023 10:08 by Stefano82.