Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Question Kstars Ekos Polar Alignment with a M-zero OBS (From Troubleshooting section)

• G_Gagnon
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2023 03:37 #1198 by G_Gagnon
I saw in the troubleshooting section that the Ekos Polar Alignment routine can be used with the M-Zero OBS. That's great except that it requires the StarGo Polar Alignment Tool, but a Linux version of the tool is not found in the Download page. Trying to install the Stargo installer with the Linux Windows emulator (wine) fails as it requires ASCOM, which cannot be installed on Linux.

How can the StarGo Polar Alignment Tool be installed on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04)? Or, is there a specific version for Linux?

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
10 Aug 2023 15:15 #1201 by Stefano82
Hello

There is a Polar Alignment Tool that can works both on Linux and Windows but it requires an additional control box that will be released at the beginning of september.

We will keep you informed as soon as will be available.

Best regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team

• G_Gagnon
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2023 02:51 #1203 by G_Gagnon
Thanks very much Mr Stefano.

I have built a control box with a Teensy and TMS2209 stepper controller to operate the two M-Zero OBS polar alignment stepper motors. It works either locally (at the mount) by pressing North, South, East and West switches, or remotely via a small remote control, operating 4 relays in parallel with the N-S-E-W switches.

It works relatively well but lacks the software (Indi driver) that would be required to operate it through KStars Ekos. I should add some motor speed control to make it go faster or slower, depending on the distance to the pole.

I will seriously consider the Avalon control box once it becomes available, particularly if it works with KStars/Ekos/Indilib under Linux.

Thanks again for your great products.