Arabic Chinese simplified Chinese traditional English French German Italian Japanese Korean Russian Spanish

shopping cart

Question after fw update: strange movements at the end of a goto

• Schaefer
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2021 15:21 #540 by Schaefer
Hi,

I first stumbled upon this behaviour when imaging with N.I.N.A. The images for plate solving were already taken while the mount was still slewing. You can imagine the outcome...

So I wrote a simple ASCOM test app and saw that both calls SlewToCoordinates and SlewToCoordinatesAsync were behaving exactly the same, which is unexpected. According to the ASCOM specification the call SlewToCoordinates should only return when the slew is fully done.

Fortunately, the property Slewing is true while the mount is slewing, so that can be used as a check, of course. But still, this is only expected for the Async version of the slew calls.

I then installed the ASCOM conformance app from ascom-standards.org/Downloads/DevTools.htm and saw it failing as well.
Although it fails with slightly different errors, my impression is, that it would pass most of the tests, if the slew call would behave as expected.

This is an excerpt from the test run:
20:02:01.332 SlewToCoordinates                 INFO     Slewed within 270359,3 arc seconds of expected RA: 08:40:35,00, actual RA: 03:40:11,05
20:02:01.363 SlewToCoordinates                 INFO     Slewed within 298439,8 arc seconds of expected DEC:  01:00:00,00, actual DEC:  83:53:59,78

You can see that the mount is (still) way off when the test program expects that it is already on target - just because the call returns immediately.

Are there any plans to fix this behavior and make the driver ASCOM compliant?

Please let me know if I can support you in testing or providing the full conformance log.

BTW: I really appreciated that the new StarGO driver does not need administrator rights anymore. I only saw it accidentally on the download page, may be you should announce this more prominently, as it will dramatically improve the situation on any Windows obseravtory laptop...

Best regards,
Stephan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
14 May 2021 13:14 #542 by Stefano82
Hello

It has been released in the software download area, available at the link below, the Install StarGo 656 B2 Beta Version that fix this bug.

www.avalon-instruments.com/support-2/sup...nstall-stargo-656-b2

You can download and try this version.

Let us know if in this way the bug is fixed.

Best regards

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team

• Schaefer
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2021 17:04 #543 by Schaefer
Hi Stefano,

thanks for working on that issue! Unfortunately there are new problems now...

First: I can confirm that the synchronous SlewToCoordinates now only returns after the slew is done. So I think that is fixed.

Meanhwile I also talked to the NINA developers and they changed their code to always use SlewToCoordinatesAsync now. Unfortunately, that is kind of broken now with the latest release of your driver.
I also adapted my test program to investigate and the problem is that immediately after performing SlewToCoordinatesAsync the Slewing property is false. So any code that checks that property in order to wait until slewing is done will now just continue. In the NINA nightlies, this now occurs as well.

I also started the ASCOM conformance tool and it failed with strange errors right at the beginning which I didn't see with the old driver. Could you successfully run it?

Besides the software issues I also noticed, that the mount does a lot of minor forward/backward corrections now at the end of each slew. This seems to be new behavior.

I will attach my simple test program which shows that Slewing is false after SlewToCoordinatesAsync despite the mount is still slewing.

You can start it with:
cscript slewtest.js
(Note that you have to rename it to slewtest.js which I had to change to .txt for uploading.)

File Attachment:

File Name: slewtest.txt
File Size:2 KB

Best regards,
Stephan
Attachments:

• Schaefer
  • Topic Author
More
18 May 2021 20:53 #547 by Schaefer
Hi Stefano,

I now reverted back to the previous version:
StarGo 6.5.11
Firmware 6.2.0
Ascom Driver 6.8.4.3

But I'm still having those strange movements short before the slew finishes. Both axis seem to overshoot and then go a few times back and forth until they settle on the final position.

I never had that before and I think it was introduced with the beta version, which I now fully reverted. But it is still there.

Regards,
Stephan

• Schaefer
  • Topic Author
More
20 May 2021 15:10 #548 by Schaefer
Just a quick update: after restoring the mount settings using the provided mcf file, the strange movement was gone. In my first attempt I saved and restored the mount settings into my own settings file, somehow that seems to have failed.
However, the problem with the Beta version and the wrong Slewing state is independent from this issue and still exists.

• Stefano82
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Don't panic
More
21 May 2021 16:03 #549 by Stefano82
Hi Stephan

The minor backward/forward corrections was probably due to a mismatch between the software update and your own mount configuration file, since, in the latest software versions some motor rampe parameters could be changed.

That’s why, after you have selected a standard mount configuration file, the issue have been fixed.

Furthermore, we run a Conform Test with the latest following StarGo Software/Firmware/Driver version:

StarGo Ver. 6.5.18
Firmware Ver. 6.5.6
Ascom Driver V.7.0.0.27

In our test there are is only one minor issue

So, we suggest to update the StarGo Software/Firmware/Driver to the latest version available and try again to run the ASCOM Conform test.

Then let us know about.

Stefano
Avalon Instruments Team
Attachments: